Friday 27 May 2011

Steampunk Junk Necklace

I think the whole Steampunk style is absolutely fascinating and innovative, but it still hasn't captured me completely.  This was my first go at something Steampunk-ish, made from mostly junk and again old necklaces pieces and a few bought items.

Steampunk Junk necklace

 I'm really pleased with how it turned out for my first go.  The cog-wheel pendant I put together myself from an old travel clock belonging to my Gran, strung together with copper-esque wire.  The hands belong to another clock.  They are actually painted black on the side that's supposed to be showing, but I preferred the silver against the brassy colour.

Cogwheel pendant

I'd bought a really cool collection of assorted mint glass beads, with these interesting copper stripes painted on, I hung those from headpins and added some Antique Bronze metal spacer beads to add length.
The "connectors" were part of an old necklace that was given to me from my Grandma.  I wrapped more copper wire around them to keep with the "inner-workings-of-a-clock" theme.

Mint w/ copper stripe glass beads
Copper wire wrapped connectors

The royal blue beads were also a part of the stripped necklace.  I added them to the second strand, with more of the antique bronze spacer beads.  The nut I found lying around the house and I have a terrible feeling I'll be missing it off something, one of these days!  The key charm you can just about see on the right and the padlock charm (which you can't), belonged to an old charm watch bracelet; that I hated.

Nut pendant

This used to be a pendant from a old necklace of my Mom's.  I've always thought it matched my royal blue beads!

Pendant used as a connector

This is an old chain that I hated.  I love putting old things to new uses.  I think the pendant and the chain both make really cool, odd connectors.

Chain used as a connector

The "pendant" on the third strand is a circuit board from an old watch.  The gold and copper lined beads I bought.

Circuit board pendant

Finally is the Antique Silver clasp; which again is from an unwanted necklace.

Antique silver clasp

So, that's my first attempt at "Steampunk" style.  Eventually I plan to mke some earrings to go with it.
Obviously this is a personal item, and there is no way I could recreate it.  I will be making more Steampunk styled jewellery, and probably many more made from "junk".

Tomorrow I'll be showing you the jewellery I have for sale.  See you then...

No comments:

Post a Comment