Saturday 4 June 2011

Tagua Nut Necklace

Yay! I was commissioned to do my first piece!  Okay, so it was for my Mom, but she's paying me for it.  I'm also designing one as a present for my Gran's next door neighbour.  Less about that and more about the new necklace I've made.

So Mom wanted a chunky necklace that went with these old earrings of hers:


This what we came up with:


The big beads are called Tagua nuts, which both of us fell in love with as soon as we saw them.  They're from a variety of palm tree (according to my supplier's website), and dyed different colours.
 

Because they're a natural bead, they vary in shape and sometimes have blemishes (the bark), which make them very distinctive.  I used Bali spacers in between the three focal beads.


At each end of the focal beads I placed these ridged spacers, followed by ridged black glass oval beads, embossed spacer tubes, smooth black glass oval beads and so on...


Finally I used this "knotted" look toggle clasp.  It's beaded onto a black leather cord.

No comments:

Post a Comment